The essential entertainment cabinet is one of the most important pieces of furniture in your lounge room because it has to be functional and look stylish. The right entertainment cabinet will be the perfect complement to your TV. As a rule of thumb, it has to be wider than the TV itself.
Here are some things to consider when shopping for your next TV cabinet:
1) ASSESS YOUR NEEDS - First things to ask yourself. How many components do you have? Is it just a DVD player and Foxtel or a complete 7.1 audiophile system with 7 speakers? Did you buy a soundbar, the latest trend? This will determine how many compartments and the size of cabinet you require.
2) GETTING THE SIGNAL - Most people love doors to hide their electronics and provide a nice clean look. However, it is not really functional when you have to open the doors to use remote controls every time you watch TV! Consider IR friendly (infrared) glass doors because they will allow remote signals to go through so you can have the doors closed all the time. If you don't want to see what's behind closed doors, consider black tinted glass doors.
3) HEAR HEAR - If you have a sound bar or 5.1 speaker systems, look for cabinets that offer specially designed spaces for them. Some cabinets offer compartments with a mesh cover to conceal your speakers and maintain a neat clean appearance.
4) WIRED UP - A well designed entertainment cabinet will have multiple holes for cords/cables to run through at the back so they are out of sight.
5) KEEPING IT COOL - All electronics produce heat and they need to stay cool to prolong their life. Look for large ventilation slots in the bottom, in the shelves and at the back of the unit.
6) BEING FLEXIBLE - Adjustable shelves will come in handy when you have different sized components. This also future proofs your cabinet if you decide to replace your components.